Moving tips – Plan Ahead and Be Prepared
Tips for moving (FREE and with NO obligation). Happy Moving!!
Moving tips and tricks directly from one of the best moving companies in town.
There are many moving hacks and tips. Where should we start?
So much to do, so little time (or at least so it seems). Whether you’re moving across town or to another state, you should familiarize yourself with what’s involved in moving and begin organizing at least 2-3 weeks in advance.
By pacing yourself, the move definitely won’t seem nearly as overwhelming. Moving tips and checklists make everything easier.
You could also involve the entire family by spreading certain responsibilities to each person, even the children. Or you can simply hire cheap movers.
The following tips should help you with this process:
Moving hacks – Weeks before you move
- Packing Readiness: Movers come to pack – Huge load off your back, and you can really relax.
- If you are packing yourself – the more organized and prepared, the smoother your move. Complete your packing, labeling, and box count before moving day.
- Pack luggage with several days worth of clothing.
- Prepare a survival kit for the first day you arrive. Items needed might be an emergency medical kit, towels, bedding, soap, toilet paper, cereal, coffee pot, filters, coffee, cooking utensils, light bulbs, hammer, screwdriver, etc.
- Organize school records and forward medical records. Don’t forget to refill prescriptions.
- Arrange to be off from work on moving day.
- If you are hiring a professional moving company to help with the move, find out what items the movers do not move.
Read more tips: What You Need to Do Two Weeks Before You Move
Few Days Ahead Moving tips
- Re-check moving list
- Re-check your packing, labeling, and box count (If we are packing for you then don’t worry about a thing)
- Carry currency, jewelry, and documents yourself – you can also use registered mail
- Plan for transporting pets: they are poor traveling companions if they’re unhappy. If they are flying, you may want to call a few airlines to see who will provide you, and Fluffy, with the best service.
- Carry traveler’s checks for quickly available funds for emergencies.
- Defrost the freezer. And finish what you have in the refrigerator. Do NOT go grocery shopping before moving day unless you can place everything directly in the new refrigerator.
Moving day tips
- Supervise movers- Make sure they have your contact numbers and proper instructions. A color-coded rough drawing of the floor plan in your new house is also helpful. This can tell the movers which rooms to place boxes, where furniture is to be located in each room. (If we are packing for you, then don’t worry about this. Our color-coded packing system will make this super easy)
- Have a Sharpie Marker and Baggies in hand, so when your furniture is disassembled, you can label the baggie and place the hardware inside. Place the labeled baggies in your car or in a box that both you and the movers have clearly labeled. This will expedite the re-assembly of your furniture
- Double-check old closets, drawers, shelves, and the attic to ensure they are empty
- Check to make sure nothing is left behind
- Let a close friend or relative know the route and schedule you will travel, including overnight stops; use him/her as a message headquarters
- Leave all old keys needed by the new tenant/owner with your Realtor
Read more moving tips: 21 tips for an easy move
Moving advice – Things you can’t forget to do
- Plan special care needs for infants, children, pets, and potted plants
- Empty freezers – Plan the use of your foods
- Defrost freezer/refrigerator – Place charcoal to dispel odors
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Remember arrangements for TVs, Antennas, and cable/satellite services
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving: have rugs wrapped before moving
- Remove curtain rods, drapery rods, and towel racks
Send Change of Address to:
- Post Office: Give forwarding address
- Charge accounts and Credit Cards
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks notice
- Friends and relatives
- Transfer Bank funds: Arrange check cashing in the new city
- New Location Insurance Coverage: Life, Health, Fire, Auto, House, or Rental insurance
- Automobile: transfer car title registration, driver’s license, city windshield sticker, and motor club membership
- Utility Companies: gas, water, telephone, electricity, cable/ satellite, and the Internet.
- Arrange for refunds of any deposits and service in your new town
- Home Delivery: Landry, newspaper, change over services
- School Records: ask for copies or transfer children’s school records, make sure to have a copy of their birth certificates, and medical records- take this with you
- Health: medical, dental, prescription histories. Ask the doctor and dentist for referrals
- Transfer needed prescriptions, X-rays, etc.
- Church clubs, Civic Organizations, transfer memberships and get letters of introduction
- Pets: Ask about regulations of pet licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
Moving hacks to save money when moving – How to move on a budget?
- Get an instant online moving quote to have a general idea of how much the move could cost before you even contact the moving companies.
- Is the date flexible? Move during the off-season.
- Toss, donate, and sell unneeded items. Why pay to move things you no longer want?
- Rent a moving truck. And simply hire movers to load the truck and movers to help unload the truck.
- Consider a moving container if you don’t feel like driving the truck. Many companies offer this service. Get a container delivered to your front door and let us help you load it and unload. This saves you money BIG TIME.
- Find your own packing supplies. Did you know you can easily get free packing supplies for your move? Read more in the links below: